The Historic Carson House, located in Pleasant Gardens, just a short drive from Old Fort’s Mountain Gateway Museum, was built in 1793 by Colonel John Carson and was home to the Carson family until well after the Civil War.
An Irish immigrant, Carson amassed a fortune as a plantation owner and became a leader in Western North Carolina. He was a representative to the Fayetteville convention, where the North Carolina delegates ratified the United States Constitution in 1789, and served in the state’s House of Commons and in local county government as well. In fact, the Carson House was used as the seat of the county government until the courthouse was constructed.
The Carson family entertained famous Americans such as David Crockett, Sam Houston, and Andrew Jackson in the Carson House, which was also once used as a stagecoach inn. Toward the end of the Civil War, an element of Union general George Stoneman’s cavalry raiders skirmished briefly with home guards on the plantation grounds. After plundering the home and scaring the family, Stoneman moved on toward Asheville.
The Carson House has been lovingly restored, and its collections include period furnishings, ornaments and textiles, some items original to the house and the Carson family.
The quilt collection at the Carson House is nationally recognized, especially a “crazy quilt” created by a slave woman in the mid-nineteenth century.
Tour of Carson House Part 1
Dr. James Haney, long time board member of the Historic Carson House, begins a tour of one of the region’s most important historical sites.
Tour of Carson House Part 2
Dr. James Haney continus to tell of the fascinating history of the home of Irish immigrant John Carson.
What the women of the house used to do at the Historic Carson House is located in Marion, NC.
Hours of Operation
The Carson House is open from April through November.
Wednesday through Saturday: 10 am to 4 pm
Sunday: 2 pm – 5 pm
Children (12 year and under): free
Hours of operation and fees are subject to change. Contact directly for most current information.
The Historic Carson House is located in Pleasant Gardens on US Highway 70, between Old Fort and Marion.
Historic Carson House
1805 US Hwy 70 W
Marion, NC 28752