The Allison-Deaver House is the oldest standing frame house in Western North Carolina. Slated for demolition in 1987, a group of citizens quickly formed the Transylvania County Historical Society and bought the house, barn, and the nearly four acres of land. Over the last 25 years, the Society has restored and maintained the house as a tribute to the early settlers, as an example of remarkable mountain-crafted architecture, and as a gift to present and future citizens.
In 1815, when most mountain dwellings were log cabins, Benjamin Allison built a two-story three-over-three room frame house based on the design of row houses in England and America’s east coast. Allison, who had eleven children and most likely needed more space for his family, sold the house to William Deaver in 1830. By 1840, the house was more than doubled in size and by 1860 the Charleston-inspired double porches had been added.
William Deaver’s home, seven slaves, and 5,117 acres in scattered locations reflected the prosperity achievable in the mountain economy. At the age of 71, Deaver was killed on his own property during the Civil War by an outlaw gang. Various generations of the Deaver family lived in the house until 1945. Carl and Mae Smith bought the property in the 1950’s and Mae lived in the house until 1985.
Today the Allison-Deaver property is a part of the North Carolina Civil War Trails Program and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Allison-Deaver House is owned by The Transylvania County Historical Society.
Hours of Operation
The house is open for visitors May 7 through October 16, Saturdays 1-4, Sundays 1-4 and by special appointment.
2753 Asheville Highway
Pisgah Forest, NC 28768
(Highway 280 near the entrance to Pisgah National Forest)