REQUEST FOR LETTERS OF INTEREST/QUALIFICATIONS
The Blue Ridge National Heritage Area Partnership and the North Carolina Arts Council are collaborating on a project to expand and revitalize the Blue Ridge Music Trails in Western North Carolina. The vision of the project is to create an environment in Western North Carolina where the rich music traditions of the region are sustained and utilized in appropriate ways to improve the lives of residents; where traditional musicians thrive and feel supported in their creative lives; where visitors and residents alike can appreciate and enjoy the richness of the music; and where youth are provided with first hand traditional music experiences that spark interest in the music of the region.
A major component of the project is the development of a new Blue Ridge Music Trails website that will serve as a guide to the region’s traditional music offerings. The website will include descriptive listings of music venues, festivals, and other events as well as information about the music traditions and artists. The original Blue Ridge Music Trails website was launched in 2003 and focused on North Carolina and Virginia venues. The new website will focus exclusively on North Carolina offerings and will serve as a companion to a new Blue Ridge Music Trails guidebook scheduled for publication by UNC Press in the spring of 2013.
The Blue Ridge National Heritage Area Partnership seeks a skilled web content writer to prepare content for the new website.
Scope of Contracted Services
- Research, write, edit, and proofread content on music traditions, venues, and events for the new Blue Ridge Music Trails website.
- Convey visitor experiences and inspire visits
- Employ an engaging, active tone
- Use clear and concise language
- Present information accurately
- Include subheadings, bulleted lists, embedded links
- Include meta-tags and keywords
- Follow the style sheet for the project
Content preparation will include adapting copy from the guidebook manuscript as well as researching and writing new copy.
- Communicate with music venue and event organizers, musicians, and other project participants to research content and verify accuracy.
- Source and collect digital photo, audio, and video files to accompany listings and prepare captions.
- Load content to the website; proof and polish the final presentation.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Knowledge of the region’s music traditions and familiarity with traditional music venues and events.
- Experience writing about music for general audiences.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills and a thorough knowledge of standard writing practices.
- Skill and experience in optimizing content for the web and fluency with Search Engine Optimization techniques.
- Experience with web-based content management systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients, meet strict deadlines, and follow editorial guidelines.
The target for the initial website build is approximately 150 pages and/or listings. A production rate of about 10 pages per week is desired. Compensation will depend upon experience. Work on the project will begin as soon as a contract is signed.
Interested individuals should submit by mail or e-mail a cover letter, resume, three references, and writing samples to:
Blue Ridge National Heritage Area Partnership
195 Hemphill Knob Road
Asheville, NC 28803
Applications are due by 5 p.m. December 7, 2012.