Historic Sites

McGaha Chapel

Read more about McGaha Chapel

McGaha Chapel

The historic McGaha Chapel was finished in 1872 during the difficult Reconstruction period following the Civil War in the context of multiple families that had been split in loyalty, fighting on different sides. The earliest membership roll shows not only Methodist but also other church members, underlining the ecumenical nature of the community.

Read more about McGaha Chapel

Allison-Deaver House

Read more about Allison-Deaver House

Allison-Deaver House

The Allison-Deaver House is the oldest standing frame house in Western North Carolina. Slated for demolition in 1987, a group of citizens quickly formed the Transylvania County Historical Society and bought the house, barn, and the nearly four acres of land. Over the last 25 years, the Society has restored and maintained the house as a tribute to the early settlers, as an example of remarkable mountain-crafted architecture, and as a gift to present and future citizens.

Read more about Allison-Deaver House

Mars Hill

Read more about Mars Hill

Mars Hill

A Town Born From Education

Before 1856, when no more than 10 families lived on what was then known as Pleasant Hill, education was important to the parents who founded an academy to educate their children.

Read more about Mars Hill

Dayton Duncan Presentation

In August 2014, the Blue Ridge National Heritage Area hosted Dayton Duncan , author and co-producer with Ken Burns of The National Parks: America's Best Idea. Mr. Duncan's presentation underscored the importance of stewardship and preservation of America's special places, be they national parks, forests, or cultural treasures.

Read more about Dayton Duncan Presentation

Cradle of Forestry

Read more about Cradle of Forestry

Fontana Dam

Read more about Fontana Dam

Fontana Dam and Visitor Center

Located in the far western corner of North Carolina, Fontana Dam is the tallest dam east of the Rockies at 480 feet. It was built by the Tennessee Valley Authority in response to an urgent need for electric power during World War II; construction began in 1942 and was finished in just 36 months.

Read more about Fontana Dam and Visitor Center