Museums in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains
Many distinctive local museums in the Blue Ridge mountains and foothills of North Carolina provide a wealth of insight and inspiration for visitors seeking a deeper cultural understanding of the region.
Cultures of the Mountains
The cultures that comprise the patchwork quilt of mountain heritage are illuminated in the Museum of the Cherokee Indian, the Scottish Tartans Museum, the Mountain Heritage Center, and the Waldensian Museum.
The isolation, perseverance, and ingenuity of pioneer farms are showcased at the Hickory Ridge Homestead, Mountain Gateway Museum, and Mountain Farm Museum.
Minerals in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina
The Museum of North Carolina Minerals tells the story of an important natural resource and is a major interpretive site for a Revolutionary War trail.
Photo: Wilkes Heritage Museum in restored Wilkes County Court House, Wilkesboro, NC.
Museums In Partnership
Museums in Partnership is a network of all the museums in Western North Carolina that work together to combine resoures, share education, and network. To learn more, click here.
Download a digital version of the Western North Carolina Museum Guide which lists nearly 100 museums large and small throughout the region.
Or visit the websites of the museums listed below to discover the wealth of history and heritage available to you in the Blue Ridge National Heritage Area.
- Allison-Deaver House (Brevard, NC)
- Asheville Art Museum (Asheville, NC)
- Avery County Historical Museum (Newland, NC)
- Bennett Classics Antique Auto Museum (Forest City, NC)
- Big Ivy Historical Society and Park (Barnardsville, NC)
- Blowing Rock Art and History Museum (Blowing Rock, NC)
- The History Museum of Burke County (Morganton, NC)
- Caldwell Heritage Museum (Lenior, NC)
- Canton Area Historical Museum (Canton, NC)
- Carson House (Old Fort, NC)
- Clay County Historical & Arts Museum (Hayesville, NC)
- Crossnore Weavers and Gallery (Crossnore, NC)
- Fly Fishing Museum of the Southern Appalachians (Bryson City, NC)
- Franklin Gem and Mineral Museum (Franklin, NC)
- Hickory Ridge Homestead (Boone, NC)
- Highlands Historical Society (Highlands, NC)
- House of Flags Museum (Columbus, NC)
- Junaluska Museum & Memorial (Robbinsville, NC)
- McGaha Chapel (Cedar Mountain, NC)
- Mountain Farm Museum (Great Smoky Mountains National Park)
- Mountain Gateway Museum (Old Fort, NC)
- Mountain Heritage Center (Cullowee, NC)
- Mount Airy Museum of Regional History (Mount Airy, NC)
- Museum of Ashe County History (Jefferson, NC)
- Museum of the Cherokee Indian (Cherokee, NC)
- Museum of North Carolina Handicrafts (Waynesville, NC)
- Museum of North Carolina Minerals (Spruce Pine, NC)
- Old Time Music Heritage Hall (Mt. Airy, NC)
- Polk County History Museum (Columbus, NC)
- Scottish Tartans Museum (Franklin, NC)
- The History Cener at the Smith McDowell House (Asheville, NC)
- Southern Appalachian Radio Museum (Asheville, NC)
- Stecoah Valley Cultural Arts Center (Robbinsville, NC)
- Swannanoa Valley Museum (Black Mountain, NC
- Thomas Wolfe Memorial (Asheville, NC)
- Transylvania Heritage Museum (Brevard, NC)
- Vance Birthplace (Weaverville, NC)
- Waldensian Museum (Valdese, NC)
- Wheels Through Time Museum (Maggie Valley, NC)
- Wilkes Heritage Museum (Wilkesboro, NC)
- World Methodist Museum (Lake Junaluska, NC)
- Yancey History Association and Rush Wray Museum (Burnsville, NC)
- Zachary-Tolbert House (Cashiers, NC)