September 2015 Events in the Blue Ridge National Heritage Area
- Davidson's Fort Historic Park, Old Fort. Open to the public Saturdays from 10 am -4 pm. A replica of the original Revolutionary War-era fort built in 1776.
- Banner Elk Concert Series, Thursdays at 6:30pm in Tate-Evans Park. Food vendors available, or bring your own picnic. 828-898-8395.
September 4 - 6
September 5 - 6
September 16 - October 30
- Eliada’s annual corn maze and festival. Corn maze trails, storybook trails, cow train, hayride, giant tube slides, corn cannons, corn box, spider web climb-on, giant jumping pillow and more.
- Mountain Heritage Festival, Sparta, NC.
- Shine to Wine, Brew and Spirits Fest - Yadkin Valley Marketplace in downtown North Wilkesboro, 1 - 7 pm.
- Overmountain Victory Celebration - Museum of North Carolina Minerals, Milepost 331 on Blue Ridge Parkway, Spruce Pine. 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Living history encampment celebrates crossing of Blue Ridge Mountains by Overmountain Men on their way to an eventual battle with British forces at Kings Mountain. At 2:30 p.m. a re-enactment of the battle will take place at the Orchard of Altapass, milepost 328. The day ends with candlelight tours through encampment from 7-9 p.m. Free. 828-765-1228 or email@example.com.
- Railroad Day - Mountain Gateway Museum, 102 Water St., Old Fort. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Norfolk Southern Lawmen Band, model railroad sets, whistle truck, railroad items for sale, food venders, N.C. DOT talk about passenger rail in WNC.
- Cherokee Heritage Festival - Cherokee Homestead Exhibit, 21 Davis Loop (just off downtown square), Hayesville. 10 a.m.-3 p.m., The rich and proud heritage of Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians will be brought to life with live demonstrations and presentations.
September 19 -20
- 35th Annual Heritage Weekend at the Blue Ridge Parkway’s Folk Art Center sponsored by the Southern Highland Craft Guild. Traditional music, dancing and heritage craft demonstrations. World Gee Haw Whimmy Diddle Competition on Saturday, 2:00-3:00pm. For more information, including a list of participating craftspeople and musicians, call 828-298-7928 or visit www.craftguild.org.
September 25 - 26
- Old Timey Fall Festival - Burnsville Town Square (Yancey County). 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Antique car and tractors parade, music and dance from the stage, storytelling, children’s rides, games and more. .
- Mountain Heritage Day - Western Carolina University, N.C. 107, Cullowhee. 8 am to 4 pm. Mountain music and clogging, 5K race, arts and crafts, living history and craft demonstrations. Free admission and parking.
- Traditions Concert - Mountainside Outdoor Theatre, Cherokee, NC. 4:30 pm. Three bands: Irons in the Fire, Blue Eyed Girl, and Longtime Rounders. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased at the theatre’s box office or by calling 828-497-2111.