June 2015 Events In the Blue Ridge National Heritage Area
June Music Events--Visit the Blue Ridge Music Trails events page for all upcoming music events!
- Davidson's Fort Historic Park, Old Fort. Open to the public Saturdays from 10 am -4 pm. A replica of the original Revolutionary War-era fort built in 1776.
June 4 - 6
- Mount Airy Fiddlers Convention, Veterans Memorial Park, 691 West Lebanon Street, Mount Airy, NC. Celebrating the
Old-Time music tradition born in Surry County.
June 4 - August 6
- Summer Storytelling Series, Gov. Zebulon B. Vance Birthplace State Historic Site, 911 Reems Creek Road, Weaverville NC. An evening storytelling series the first Thursday of June, July, and August. Bring a blanket and gather around the fire for a night of captivating mountain stories.
- First Friday Concert & Livermush Festival, Main Street, Historic Downtown Marion. 6:30-9pm. Free. Music and a livermush cooking contest.
- NC Gold Festival, Mountain Gateway Museum grounds, 102 Water Street, Old Fort, NC. Celebrating NC gold heritage with gold exhibits, gold mining techniques and demonstrations, treasure and scavenger hunts, geo-caching, gold panning, and more.
June 5, 12, 19, & 26
- Family Friday Nights Concert Series, Valdese. Music and dancing beginning at 7:00pm in the Wells Fargo/Town parking lot.
- Music on Main, Hendersonville, 7 - 9 pm.
- Art, River & Music Festival, Downtown Murphy, NC. 9 am to 4 pm.
- Troutacular! Children's fishing event. Riverside Park , Peach Street, Spruce Pine, NC
Sat Jun 6th 6am - noon. Free.
June 8 - August 14
- Camp Muddy Sneakers. Transylvania County location. Outdoor learning for kids in grades 1-7. Innovative Day Camp with half-day and full day options.
June 8, 15, 22 & 29
- Monday Night Live! concerts, Hendersonville Visitors Center.
- Blue Ridge Parkway After Hours Hike, Wilderness In Your Backyard, starts at Asheville's Folk Art Center, Milepost 382 near the flagpole. 7 pm. Call (828) 298-5330, extension 304 for more information.
- Blue Ridge Parkway's Hike of the Week,"Top of the World: Black Balsam." 10 am. Easy to moderate, 2-mile round trip hike to Black Balsam. The hike will begin approximately 0.7 mile off the Parkway on the Black Balsam Road (F.S. Road 816), about 1 mile south of Graveyard Fields at Milepost 420. Bring water and a snack, wear good walking shoes, and be prepared for changeable weather. For information call (828) 298-5330, ext. 304.
June 12 - 13
- Haywood Civil War 150th Anniversary: Last Shot Fired. Shelton House, Waynesville.
- Transylvania County Handcrafters Guild Show and Fair, Under the Big Tent, Brevard College, 9am - 5pm.
- Bluff Mountain Festival, Hot Springs.
- Art in the Park, downtown Blowing Rock. Second in a summer series of juried art and craft shows. Free.
- 5th Annual Appalachian Lifestyle Celebration, Downtown Waynesville, 10 am to 5 pm. Highlighting traditional mountain craft, food, and entertainment.
- National Get Outdoors Day! http://www.blueridgeheritage.com/attractions-destinations/blue-ridge-parkway-visitor-center (Milepost 384), Asheville, NC. 10 am - 2 pm. Programs and activities about the natural resources of the Parkway; a celebration of the upcoming National Park Service Centennial, and the launch of the Blue Ridge Parkway quarter. http://www.blueridgeheritage.com/attractions-destinations/blue-ridge-par...
- Be Bear Aware, Pisgah Center For Wildlife Education, near Brevard. 1 -3 pm. Kids of all ages can get a useful primer on the black bear and how to safely coexist with them.
June 20 -21
- Plottfest, Maggie Valley Festival Grounds. Mountain music festival celebrating Western North Carolina's heritage and showcasing the official state dog, the Plott Hound. A benefit fpr Head Start of Jackson and Haywood Counties.
June 20- July 4
- Arts and Culture Week 2015, Brevard. The last week of June features more than sixty art events throughout Transylvania County.
- Banner Elk Concert Series, Thursdays at 6:30pm in Tate-Evans Park. Food vendors available, or bring your own picnic. 828-898-8395
- Waynesville Street Dance, Waynesville. 6:30 - 9 pm. In front of Haywood County Courthouse.
- 4th Friday Gallery Walk, Downtown Brevard, 5 - 9pm
- Steep Canyon Rangers and the Brevard Music Center Orchestra, Brevard Music Center, 7:30 pm.